New to music photography or looking to dig deeper? Here's a list of past articles posted on www.ishootshows.com that I think you might find useful. From how to request a photo pass to the AF settings I use and what earplugs I recommend, I hope these links help.
Concert Photography Essentials
- How to Get Started in Photographing Concerts
- Getting Started in Music Photography — Creative Live Class
- How To Become A Concert Photographer – My story
- Recommended Earplugs for Music Photographers
- 6 Tips for the New Music Photographer
- 5 Essential Live Music Tips
- How To Request A Photo Pass
- Concert Photography Etiquette
- How to Start a Music Blog for Photo Passes
- The Ultimate Guide to Photo Passes
- Copyright & Concert Photography
- The Photographer's Guide to Music Festivals
- The Photographer's Guide to Warped Tour
- How to Price Your Photography and Image Licensing
- Workflow for Live Music Photography
- 5 Tips for Better Focus in Low Light
- Camera Settings for Concert Photography
- AF Settings For Live Music Photography
- Metering & Exposure for Concert Photography, Part 1
- Metering & Exposure for Concert Photography, Part 2
- Music Photography Gear Guide
- Choosing Lenses For Concert Photography
- Best Earplugs for Concerts and Live Music
- 5 Tips for How to Change Lenses Faster in Event Photography
- How to Deal With Red Lights
- How to Photograph Drummers
- 5 Tips For Changing Lenses Faster
- 5 Tips For Better Band Portraits
- How to Capture Killer Facial Expressions of Musicians
- 8 Tips for a Great Photography Portfolio
- The Best Live Music Photography Tips
- 5 Tips for Better Concert Photography
- The Timing of Concert Photography
- Concert Photographers: Please, Wear Earplugs
If this music photography “quick start guide” or any other content on www.ishootshows.com was helpful to you, please consider supporting this site and grabbing your next photo gear purchase through one of my affiliate links:
Simply clicking through any product links on this site helps me bring you free content like the photography tips and gear reviews regularly posted on www.ishootshows.com, and naturally it doesn't cost you a cent more.
I am humbled and extremely happy that this blog has helped photographers over the years. I started ishootshows.com as a way to share my passion for music photography. I am thrilled if I have had even the smallest part in helping someone fall in love with music photography and make it their own.
@toddowyoung is the best photographer to follow for all things photo. I read his blogs when I was getting started back in the day and I still do ?? https://t.co/cCbSjTMHMG— Ashley Osborn (@ashleyosborn) August 25, 2021
This is 100% correct! Don’t listen to the naysayers out there. Todd is part of the reason I’m where I’m at today. Thanks to his website https://t.co/jVtrT1IjhD I was able to learn a lot of stuff that just isn’t readily available for a music photographer. https://t.co/cek3YUCu3g— Khris Poage (@khris_poage) August 10, 2021
When I started in music photography @toddowyoung ‘s https://t.co/2EpdJKm2SM was THE place I went for info, and I went there often. 11 years later I still do. https://t.co/8m8uieTiDz— Steve Brazill (@stevebrazill) January 22, 2020
Todd, I learned so much from your blog when I started down this path. I was fascinated and inspired & set myself a goal to one day be half as good as you. What you shared and continue to share is priceless. @chasejarvis you should be chasing down Todd for a Creativelive session!
— Steve Perks (@camerastageleft) June 7, 2018
One of the blogs that helped me when i was starting out coz true enough, not a lot of people talk about concert photography 10yrs ago. Happy 10th, https://t.co/n9J4mQbjv9! https://t.co/MveJI74DnH
— Lodi Poe (@super_roxy) June 6, 2018
I remember when I first started shooting shows your blog was my bible, thank you so much for sharing with us ?
— Kimberley Ross (@kimmika) June 7, 2018
it was 2008 when i first started going to shows, wide-eyed wondering how to shoot one. i am not exaggerating to say Todd’s blog taught me how to shoot shows. congrats! https://t.co/wEhwOzuFQl
— jessie (@thejessielau) June 6, 2018
It’s where I learned everything I did when I started this crazy dream. Still learn from it too!
— Khris Poage (@khris_poage) June 6, 2018
i LOVE reading your blog! It inspired me to shoot more concerts and events. Thank you for being such a strong influence ?
— Magdalena (@clikster) March 23, 2017